What Do You Want To Learn About Nutrition?
What would you like to learn about nutrition?
As some of you know, I was a nutrition/dietetics major in college. It was my dream to become a dietician, but unfortunately due to financial difficulties and life circumstances I had to leave school just one semester out from graduating.
At this point in my life, it isn’t really an option to return to school to finish, but I still wanted to help people with the information that I did learn in the those 5 years of study.
I have spent some time trying to figure out how I could do that for people, but was coming up blank until I was introduced to the concept of online courses.
With what I have learned about online courses over these last few months, I have decided that maybe teaching a basics in nutrition course is the way to go, but I am unsure of what the “average person” is really wanting to learn.
I have read many “nutrition” books that supposedly cater to the “average individual”, but are filled with complicated biochemistry terms. I want to basically “dumb” that down a bit. This way you don’t have to have a biology degree to understand the concepts.
There is more to nutrition than the “eat this, don’t eat that” mentality. There are so many foods out there, it would be impossible for me to just tell you what to eat. There are just too many different tastes, lifestyles, cultures, and so on.
With that being said, once you learn the basic concepts of how the body processes food, macronutrients, and minerals, it is much easier for you to make healthy and educated food choices.
This course is going to be for anyone who wants to learn more of the “Why and How” behind nutrition.
Here are some things I would like to cover in this course:
- Current USDA food guidelines
- Basics of managing a healthy diet
- Different types of food and why they are beneficial
- Fad diets, and why you might want to avoid them
- The process that the body uses to digest food for fuel
- The truth behind carbs and hidden sugars
- How to eat healthier when eating out
- Basic food storage and prep
- Some recipies
- Lactose intolerance
- The myth behind glucose intolerance
- Understanding basic chemical processes of the human body
- General overview of what different styles of diets are out there. (i.e. mediteraniean diet, paleo, vegan, vegitarian and so on). And the pros and cons between them.
I would really love to hear what you guys think I should cover in this course to make it as detailed as possible. So please comment with your ideas or send me an email at: email@example.com so I can make this course amazing!